Farm & Food Care Saskatchewan Elects First Executive
(SASKATOON, SK) At its first official Board of Directors meeting April 7, 2015, Farm & Food Care Saskatchewan elected their Chair and Vice Chair.
"We're very pleased that Shannon Meyers and Erwin Hanley have been elected to serve our new organization as Chair and Vice Chair respectively," stated Adele Buettner, Executive Director. "Both Shannon and Erwin come to Farm & Food Care Saskatchewan with extensive experience in farming and food production and we will benefit greatly from their leadership."
Shannon Meyers represents Sask Pork on the Farm & Food Care Board and is General Manager of Fast Genetics based in Saskatoon. He also farms near Melfort, Saskatchewan. As a proud advocate of agriculture, he is excited about the prospects of Farm & Food Care.
"Our vision is 'connecting consumers to food and farming'. This organization presents tremendous opportunities for those of us involved in the industry to do just that," commented Meyers.
Erwin Hanley of Regina operates a third generation farm producing grain, oilseed and pulse crops, and is the current Chair of the Saskatchewan Flax Development Commission.
"I am honoured to be part of the executive for Farm and Food Care and to share our story of food production," remarked Hanley. "With less than three per cent of the population of Canada having direct links to the farm, it's more important than ever to do just that."
Both Meyers and Hanley served as members of the Advisory Committee when the organization was in the development stage.
Also on the 2015 Farm & Food Care Saskatchewan Board of Directors are:
- Pat Beaujot - Seed Hawk Inc., Langbank
- Larry Grant - Saskatchewan Cattlemen's Association, Val Marie
- Shelley Jones - Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture, Regina
- Dale Leftwich - SaskCanola, Esterhazy
- Brian Lindenbach - SaskMilk, Balgonie
- Jeff Mathieson - Saskatchewan Barley Development Commission, Regina
- Laura Reiter - Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission, Radisson
- Henry Van Ee - Chicken Farmers of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
- Tim Wiens - Saskatchewan Pulse Growers, Herschel
- Danny Wollman - Saskatchewan Egg Producers, Ponteix
Farm & Food Care Saskatchewan was incorporated in September 2014 and held their inaugural conference December 10-11, 2014 in Saskatoon. Board elections took place in January 2015.
Farm & Food Care Saskatchewan believes that getting to know farmers and ranchers equals getting to know food. We strive to find new and innovative ways to introduce farmers, ranchers and others involved in food production to their customers and consumers to their food. Visit farmfoodcaresk.org to learn more.
For more information, contact: