CropLife Canada represents the Canadian manufacturers, developers and distributors of pest control and modern plant breeding products. Our organization’s primary focus is on providing tools to help farmers be more productive and more sustainable, but we also develop products for use in a wide range of non-agricultural settings, including urban green spaces, public health settings and transportation corridors.
Did Your Know?
- Plant science innovations reduce food loss and waste, from farm to table, by combating diseases, insects and weeds.
- Without plant science innovations, prices would be 45% higher on average for many staple foods, an increase of $4,500 annually per Canadian household.
- Almost 34 million acres are maintained in a natural state (untouched by agriculture) due to increased production on existing farmland. This is the same amount of space as about 25 million football fields.
- Thanks in part to plant science innovations, more farmers have been able to adopt conservation and no-till farming, which saved 1.2 billion litres of fuel between 1996 and 2018.
- The carbon sequestration and fuel savings from no-till and conservation tillage practices saved an estimated 20 billion kgs of greenhouse gas emissions from being released into the atmosphere between 1996 and 2018, which is equivalent to removing about 13 million cars from the road for a year.
- Farmers would grow $9.2 billion less worth of crops a year without plant science innovations. This includes $7.7 billion less worth of field crops, $1 billion less worth of fruits and vegetables and $460 million less worth of potatoes.
- For more information about plant science innovations, visit: helpingcanadagrow.ca