Grain Millers is one of the world’s largest conventional and organic oat millers. Our grain processing includes oats, corn, wheat, rye, barley, triticale, flaxseed, and more. Grain Millers’ Canadian headquarters is located in Yorkton, Saskatchewan and has several other facilities with different specialties in strategic locations across North America. Our mission is to make good things for and with good people.
Take a look inside Grain Millers’ facility in Yorkton, Saskatchewan!
Know Your Oats
- Did you know that one of the fastest areas of growth for the oat industry is oat milk (an alternative to dairy milk)?
- There are three parts to oat kernels: the bran, germ and endosperm. The bran and germ both contain healthy fiber, vitamins and minerals. The endosperm mostly contains carbohydrates, and some protein.
- Rolled Oats are the most common oats you’ll find in the store! They are whole oats which have been toasted, hulled, steamed and then rolled.
- Quick Oats are oats that have been cut, steamed and rolled into thinner flaking making them quicker to cook.
- Instant Oats have been cut, pre-cooked, dried, steamed and flattened for instant cooking times. A quick and convenient way to get a healthy helping of oats on the go!
- Steel Cut Oats are oats that have been sliced once or twice into smaller pieces, and will have a great chewy texture and nutty flavor.
- Oat Groats are the hulled or crushed kernels of oats. With oat groats you get all the healthy parts of the oat kernel: the bran, germ and endosperm.
- Oat Flour is simply oats that have been milled to a fine powder.
- Oat Bran is made from the outer casing (layer) of the oat kernel, and is particularly high in insoluble fiber. It is used as a hot cereal or sprinkled on cold cereal, and as an ingredient in quick breads, casseroles, and pancakes for added fiber.