Facts About Dairy
- There are about 10,000 dairy farms in Canada.
- The average Canadian dairy farm milks 73 cows.
- The average Canadian drinks about 63 litres of milk each year and consumes just over 14 kg of cheese!
- The most common breed of dairy cows in Canada is Holstein, with their distinctive black and white pattern. Holsteins have outstanding milk production, which is one reason they make up about 93% of all of the dairy cattle in Canada.
- Milk products are an important part of a healthy diet, providing up to 16 nutrients that contribute to good health, including calcium, vitamin D and protein which keep the body functioning properly and help reduce the risk of certain diseases.
- Dairy products are important for healthy bones. The calcium in milk products helps prevent osteoporosis.