This year’s #CelebrateAg Month theme is #MealsFromtheFarm. It builds on an earlier project of Farm & Food Care Saskatchewan and Agriculture in the Classroom Saskatchewan in which we were able to provide Saskatchewan-made lunches to almost 2000 students in Yorkton, Lloydminster, Prince Albert, Regina and Saskatoon. We wanted to keep the energy going by extending this theme through Agriculture Month in October.
Our Meals From the Farm theme is all about:
- Celebrating the great food produced by Saskatchewan farmers
- Highlighting the meals shared out in the field at harvest time
- Showcasing community fall suppers featuring locally grown foods
- Supporting meals in your community through support for organizations such as food banks, soup kitchens and other community organizations
Join us on social media, enter our photo contest, make a donation to a food bank, or even plan an event or meal of your own to #CelebrateAg and #MealsFromtheFarm.
Agriculture Month is proclaimed annually by the Government of Saskatchewan. Each October, the industry works together to tell their food story through campaigns, events and programming. Through these interactions, we hope to help people better understand how Saskatchewan farmers and ranchers raise their animals and grow their crops, while engaging in authentic conversations with people from around the province.
Share Meals From The Farm In Your Community
Farm & Food Care Saskatchewan, in partnership with Chicken Farmers of Saskatchewan, hosted a ‘Meals From the Farm’ luncheon at the Saskatoon Friendship Inn on September 29 in Saskatoon. We encourage people to make their own donations to the Friendship Inn and other local community organizations to ensure everyone can enjoy a meal from the farm.
Online Photo Contest
- FFC SK hosted an online photo contest during Ag Month.
- Several photo categories: Farm Scenes | Farm Faces | Crops | Farm Animals | Farm Innovations | Farm to Plate | Farm History | A Meal From the Farm.
- Three prizes: First Prize: $250 grocery card | Second Prize $150 | People’s Choice $250.
- Calls to action: (a) Enter your photos (b) Vote on your favourites (c) Promote the contest to others.
Deadline: All entries must be received by 11:59 PM on October 31, 2022.
Agriculture Month Resources
Saskatchewan Agriculture Month 2022
October is Agriculture Month in Saskatchewan and Farm & Food Care Saskatchewan is excited to provide you with a tool kit and ideas to help us all #CelebrateAg together.
Agriculture Month is a time to honor all the people responsible for the great food grown here. It is a time to tell our stories, celebrate our successes, hold up our innovative products and programs and give a shout out to everyone who turns their passion for agriculture into food for our tables.
How Can You Get Involved?
- Test your Farming knowledge
- Farm & Food Care created a Kahoot agriculture quiz for school kids. There are 44 questions grouped into four challenges. We encourage you to share the following challenge links for Agriculture month.
- (a) Kindergarten to Grade 1 https://kahoot.it/challenge/003007035
- (b) Grades 2-3 https://kahoot.it/challenge/009196545
- (c) Grades 4-6 https://kahoot.it/challenge/008825207
- (d) Grades 7-8 https://kahoot.it/challenge/002085455
- Tag and amplify #CelebrateAg and #MealsFromTheFarm in your social media communications. Download the CelebrateAg-Action-Kit
- Check out FFC SK’s Facebook page and Calendar of Events. And spread the word about what is happening across the industry!
- Plan a#CelebrateAgor #MealsFromTheFarmpromotion or online event. Let us know how we can support your events and promotions or if you have ideas we can collaborate on. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Celebrate the food for meals that are produced by Saskatchewan farmers
- Highlight the meals shared out in the field at harvest time
- Showcase the community fall suppers featuring locally grown foods
- Support meals in your community by supporting organizations such as food banks, soup kitchens and other community organizations (see more above).
- Arrange for a farmer to present to your school, Chamber or community group
- Help promote the #CelebrateAg online photo contest. All people have to do is upload their farm or food related photo in one of several categories. The prize is a $250 gift card from Federated Co-op. Don’t forget to vote on your favourite photos! Full details here.
- Share resources that#CelebrateAg:
- Browse and share the amazing articles and videos on Canadian Food Focus , including behind the scenes on the farm, nutritional information, cooking tips, recipes and more.
- Download the Real Dirt on Farming Answers to Consumer Questions about Agriculture
- Check out FarmFood 360° Online Interactive Farm Tours
- Browse Agriculture in the Classroom Saskatchewan’s Featured Resources
- Discover Agriculture in the Classroom Canada’s Learn from Home Resources
Thanks for working with us to #CelebrateAg!